Saturday, February 14, 2009

Our friend, The Monkey.

I have always had a love of monkeys, so naturally I have been drawn to the lovable stuffed sock monkey since I can remember! My mom babysat this little girl when I was in first and second grade, and she had a sock monkey. It looked like this:
I always wanted one. I never had one. I was jealous.

In seventh grade, my attention was redirected to the sock monkey when Paul Frank (the designer) made it one of his main design focuses in his clothes. He had pajama pants, t-shirts, slippers, bags, and hair accesories that all featured this cute little monkey named Julius. Here is the design:

And this is an example of one of the way cute bags that I wanted so badly:


Unfortunately, all the "way cute" Paul Frank stuff was way expensive. Once again, this was a monkey I wanted so badly, but never got.

This love had died down until I saw these little cuties on my friend Tricia's blog:



I just knew when I saw them that I would finally have the monkey I had been obsessing about for so long. And, better yet, I could control what it looked like! (read: Mao Zedong, the dictator) So, for Valentine's Day, I decided to make Lance a sock monkey out of a blue, green, and cream striped sock. Here's the finished project:





I think he turned out super cute... I'll be gifting this little guy this afternoon, I think it's going to be well received- the doggies sure did like it. They thought it was for them...


Here they are, waiting patiently for me to finish sewing "their toy". They were sorely disappointed when I put him on the counter, OUT of their reach!

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Patrick and Michelle Hinckley said...

Chelsea you are SOOO CUTE... the monkey is adorable!!! I wanna learn hoe to make them! OK so we will have a girls night i swear, my immune system KNOWS when to shut down! Oh yeah i got a real live job and will be working form 8-5 every day! Yay money!!!
LOVE YOU ans Your monkey... Oh and I guess Lance too :)

Tricia said...

Chelsea, so great to hear from you!!! Tell your family HELLO from the Copes. We miss Texas!

Your monkey is DARLING!!! Great job!