Monday, February 22, 2010

"There's nothing wrong with Ohio... Except the snow and the rain!"

Haha, just kidding-- I couldn't resist a Bowling For Soup reference! Ohio is really great! I've totally enjoyed my first almost week here! Our flight from Denver to Columbus was delayed because we were on a little plane and we were 450 pounds overweight, so it took us about an hour to get settled and take off. Good thing the flight was only an hour, otherwise we would have been really behind on our 'new missionary orientation' schedule for the evening! BTW-- EVERYONE was amazed at my one suitcase and my one caryon. I packed less than ALL of the elders :)

That night at the mission home, we had the best food I had had in three weeks, and I think I got the best night's sleep I had gotten in three weeks as well! (Not to mention the best shower!) But, when I woke up with my head and face unbearably cold and shivering at 2:30 in the morning, I really began to wonder what I had gotten myself into... I guess that's what nightcaps are for?

President and Sister Jensen are really great! I enjoyed getting to know them that first night! Oh, and Brother Malouf was telling me before I left about their friends the McFersons who live in Powell, Ohio... He and his wife work in the mission office! I met them my first night here, but I didn't put together they were one and the same until last night!

Thursday morning, we went to the transfer meeting, where I got the all-important debit card I'll have for the next year and a half, and where I met my trainer Sister Parry. She's awesome. Sister Parry is from Bountiful, Utah, and she has been out for just under a year. We're serving in the Moundbuilders ward in Newerk (which is pronounced Nerk, Ahia if you're a local-- and here I was thinking I didn't have to learn a language!) At the transfer meeting we sang hymn #266 (which I conducted) and I don't think I had ever heard that song before that day! Such a good missionary song. Look it up! Some of the elders sand a special number 'If I Could Be' Look that up too-- apparently there are videos of it on youtube-- its about if I could be like my brother nephi, abinidi, etc. So good.

After transfers, we came up (down? Over? I'm still learning) to Newerk. Just so you know, we serve in mainly Newerk and Pataskala, and a little bit of Granville. Sister Parry's last companion was sick a lot, so I think everyone is really excited for a change!

When we got here I was amazed by the massive icicles that were hanging off of every building. Apparently, everything is bigger in Texas EXCEPT icicles... Ohio takes the cake on that one. I'll have to send you pictures. The houses here are way cute... look them up! They all remind me of little dollhouses! There was also more snow than I've ever seen. It snowed a lot last weekend, but its sort of warmed up since, so now it's starting to melt... but I was amazed at the massive amounts of white!

I've already met some wonderful people here that are being taught. I'm beginning to realize just how BLESSED I've always been. Its a very humbling experience to meet these people and realize how faithful they are despite (or maybe because of?) their temporal blessings.

The ward here is tiny, and when I commented to sister Parry about it, she informed me its one of the bigger wards here in Ahia. They're all such great people. I love it here!

Thanks for sending my sheets-- oh my goodness, they're heavenly. If any of you are ever in the market for flannel sheets, eddie bauer is the way to go.

So as far as my address goes, I'll get the mail sent to the mission home forwarded to me, but I'll be at this address at least for the next six weeks. the address is:
1570 A Crystal Court
Newerk, OH 43055

If you're unsure of my address, things can still be sent to the mission home address, but in order for them to be forwarded, they must be sent through the USPS-- not fedex, UPS, etc. Just FYI :) I would love some mail!

I love you all, and I'm so thankful for the chance I have to be here! Thanks for all your love, support, and prayers-- they're definitely felt and appreciated!

Love, Sister Chelsea LeSueur


Lance-- Be expecting a letter soon... Did you get my VDay letter? Things should get to you a lot faster now that I'm not in the notoriously slow Provo USPS system! I love you :)

No comments: