Monday, January 17, 2011

My weakness, in mercy, He covers with power

Hello my wonderful family,

Sister LeSueur here, reporting from the freezing and frigid very very north of the Ohio Columbus Mission where miracles are happening despite the temperatures in the single digits! It has been an absolutely excellent week-- Our zone leaders, Elder Upton and Elder Tanner dubbed this last week 'Standards Week', a week where there was a special focus and push on each area reaching the mission standard for the key indicator numbers we report each week which was set by President Jensen. These numbers include 20 lessons, three new investigators, five lessons with members present, and so on... I am happy to report that our whole zone did quite well with this challenge, and I found as we made 'the standard' (which we usually reach by coincidence) more of a focus in the forefront of our minds, we were more able to notice the Lord's hand in helping us get there!

One of those miracles occurred Tuesday night. We had been in Columbus all day for a specialized training zone conference (which was incredible, by the way!) and on our way home, we were debating about visiting a less active member whom we have been trying to get into contact with for the last several weeks before or after our 7:00 appointment. We kind of felt like we needed to go before, but I wanted to run home and change my shoes, but we decided to go ahead and try to see Shannon. We knocked on her door and she wasn't home... As we were getting back in our car, we noticed a woman across the street shoveling her driveway (it had been snowing all day) and so we went to see if we could finish shoveling it for her-- we got to talking, her name is Marion, she's retired and a widow, and it turns out her sister has been a member of the church for 20 years. Marion noted how her sister's faith has gotten her through a lot of rough patches in her life and she was really quick to say yes when we asked if we could come back the next day to teach her more about the Book of Mormon. If we hadn't followed the promptings to go see Shannon before our 7:00 appointment, we wouldn't have met Marion, and I feel like the Lord has been totally preparing her. The next day, we had a wonderful first part of lesson one. She's great and I love how the Lord works in our lives!

Another miracle the Lord has worked this last week is the way he has prepared Carla to enter into the waters of baptism. We had a great second lesson on the Plan of Salvation Wednesday and at the end we asked her if she would prepare to be baptized on the 29th of January and she was excited and said, "yes!" She then went on to tell us that when she first agreed to meet with us, she did it just because we were nice, but the more she has read the Book of Mormon and prayed and come to church, the more she KNOWS it's true. She is so much happier where as before she was depressed-- she hated people and was really downtrodden by all the pain in the world. Now, she has faith and hope and the light of Christ shines through her! She's getting baptized a week from Saturday and I couldn't be happier! Also, Marla and Carla's nephew Tony has stayed the weekend with them and he has sat in on our lessons and he and his girlfriend came to church Sunday and LOVED it. He's going to be next :)

The work is going so well. Transfers are this week and Sister Lillywhite is leaving me-- but it will be so good for her to have a new area and love a new ward and learn from a new sister... I'll be staying here in Clearfork and I'm getting a brand new missionary straight from the MTC. I'm excited to train in an area where I'm not being doubled into... That hasn't happened before!! I know that the Lord will be with me as I work to overcome my weaknesses so that she will have the training experiences she needs. I'm excited for this transfer and I'm excited to be a missionary. It is the greatest! The gospel is true and I love my Savior and I am so grateful for him and the Atonement which allows me to overcome all the pain, struggles, and sorrows I will ever experience. The Book of Mormon is the word of God-- we need to want it like we want oxygen. I love you guys-- have a fabulous week, and please keep Carla in your prayers!

Love, Sister Chelsea LeSueur

No comments: