Friday, January 10, 2014

Mommy Blogs

It's really been quite a while since I've posted a blog. Notice I say posted, rather than written. I have several posts full of photos and some loosely stringed-together thoughts, I just haven't taken the time to finish them. One day, however, I will.

Luckily, I am taking a Media, Family, and Human Development class this semester which encourages us to blog about the media that permeates our lives. It is something I have been thinking a great deal about, so I am grateful for the opportunity to express some of my thoughts here-- afterall, I have been a long time "mommy blog" lurker without contributing much to the conversation!

I came across this blog post by Rachel Marie Martin. The post is entitled, "Why Being a Mom is Enough", and perhaps it struck a particular cord with me because being a new mom, I am still striving to find my footing with this new role I've taken on.


I marvel at the sense of community that can be found online. How did women find support fifty, twenty, and even ten years ago before this network of moms was built? Mom? Because let's face it-- as wonderful as motherhood is, it can be a very lonely, daunting task at times. That's not to say it isn't wonderful, but in the midst of rocking a sick and screaming baby as the laundry and bills pile up and the dog barks, it is easy to feel quite alone. That makes reading words like these all the more valuable an experience:
"A mother isn’t based on external perfection. A mother is the person, the woman, just like you. The woman with little ones in her care that she loves, and sometimes wonders how she loves them because they’re driving her batty, but still she does. She fights, gives, prays, works, and doesn’t give up even when she wants to throw in the towel.
That’s you. Today. Tomorrow. Yesterday.
I say that is enough. 
It is more than enough.
You are amazing."
...Even if they are from a complete stranger from who-knows-where.

I have two semesters left (including this one) in pursuit of my bachelor's degree. It is becoming increasingly difficult to leave my little sweetie (and my messy house), and I have really been struggling with all the many things that are on my plate. I take solace in the knowledge that this will only last for eight more total months of classes, as I try to breathe in every second I get to spend with my beautiful baby girl. The days may be long, but the months and years are short and I am grateful for the millions of blogging women in the online community I frequent who remind me of this.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chelsea, I love your post! It is amazing to me too what the blogging world can do to create a sense of community, unity and support for other women and moms. I feel it to as I look online for support through my own pregnancy and for raising my future babe. You are so amazing for working so hard for your bachelors and being a mommy!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting! I love everything that promotes mothers and motherhood. It is sad that the world doesn't support this most vital role enough.