Monday, November 1, 2010

I know that my Savior loves me...

Dearest Family,

Happy November and happy month of Cam, Beau, Sister Lillywhite, Sister Lewis, Bethany, and my birthdays-- and a whole lot of other cool people too! Wow, I can't believe November is here. 22 days 'till my birthday :)

Yesterday was the primary program, and our cute little primary of about 20 kids sang touching songs about the theme (which is also the new song this year) "I know that my Savior loves me". They did a phenomenal job and I had to laugh as I watched the overly-enthused 4 and 5 year-olds and the 11 year-olds who looked like they were about to keel over and die of embarrassment . The best thing about the whole day/ordeal? Jeff Boyd, one of our investigators was there with his wife and kids who are members, and I KNOW he felt the spirit bear witness to him that his Savior loves HIM. He has been struggling to understand just how infinite and eternal the Atonement of Jesus Christ actually is... What better way for him to learn than from the simple and completely true gospel principles taught through the primary songs. I love primary songs and I am so grateful to my mama for instilling this love in me! Thanks Mom!

It really has been a wonderful week here in Galion. We're beginning to get our bearings-- the GPS has been an invaluable tool (once again-- thanks Daddy!) and we have been able to meet some great people. There are a ton of less active members on the ward roster, and so we have been trying to systematically visit them all and assess their needs. It is difficult with how HUGE our ward boundaries are to see everyone and mesh schedules, so we're still looking for a system that works for us. Another thing we're finding is EVERYONE here works during the day it seems-- this hasn't been the case in either of my other areas, and so we're working on adapting to these new challenges we're finding! Any ideas? Email me :)

We had an interesting experience when we had dinner at Sister Weidinger's home on Saturday night. Her daughters (who are both members) were both there with their kids (and grandkids) and so was her son-in-law who is not a member of the church. He was a nice guy until the subject of religion was brought up and then he became very contentious and argumentative. He talked of the lack of 'evidence' surrounding our faith in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and because he is relatively well-read in the Bible he feels that he knows everything he needs to in order to get into Heaven and in order to know that we are wrong in our faith. Things between him and his sister-in-law were getting heated when Sister Lillywhite said, 'whether you read the Bible or the Book of Mormon, Christ tells us that contention is not of Him... I feel like there is a lot of contention right now, and I think we shouldn't talk anymore about Him like this." It was perfect and exactly what needed to be said and I was so proud of her. After sharing a scripture, we left and the spirit was beginning to come back into the home. When we were in the car, I felt this overwhelming sadness for him because his heart has been hardened and he won't believe until Christ Himself reveals the truth to him... and even then, I wonder if it will be enough... It also dawned on me that I want my family and extended family to share in the knowledge of the truthfulness of the gospel. I am grateful for the opportunity Heavenly Father has given me to strengthen my foundation so I will be worthy of a man who has an equally strong foundation so that "when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds... it shall have no power to drag [me] down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which [we have] built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if [we] build [we] cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12) How grateful I am that I have been given this opportunity-- and to think that I came so close to missing out on it. God's plan for each of us is perfect, even if it includes something we never thought we would do... like serve a mission!

I love this gospel. It is true. I love my Savior. He lives and he loves me. I love my family. We can be together forever as we keep the commandments. I love being a missionary. It is the greatest thing I have ever done-- Go share the gospel with those around you. You will be blessed and they will be blessed immeasurably. Be happy-- The gospel is true <3

LOVE YOU TONS,
Sister Chelsea LeSueur

No comments: