Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pre-Pageant Festivities

The annual Nauvoo Pageant is such an awesome show, but being outside, it can't start 'till the sun has gone down. So, to get all their spectators into the true pioneer spirit, the families who perform in the pageant hold these pre-show activities where we learned some favorite pioneer passtimes. Take a look:

Lance learned how to tie a quilt. I think he felt challenged by the four-year-old who was tying like an old pro. I love how domestic he is :)


This is one of my favorite pictures. Thanks to Bethany for taking it! We were in a sack race with a bunch of little kids, and somehow we were the ones who fell down before reaching the finish line. If our faces say anything about it... you can tell it was quite an exertion!


Ahh, the famous stick-pull. Bethany won this one-- but I swear there is an advantage to being on the outside!


Walking on stilts was a lot of fun... I love this picture!


It was really difficult to get a hang of- luckily this adolescent had a crush on Bethany, and was all too happy to teach her the tricks of stilt-walking!


See, here he is again (the next day) showing her how to waltz. Again, all too happy to help her out :)


Lance and I, dancing! It was so much fun to learn some of the classic pioneer dances. Maybe if I lived back then, I wouldn't have two left feet and no rhythm...


We made these wood-twisties that provided a mental challenge for the rest of the way home. The next day in church, I counted fifteen kids around me who had theirs out- just twisting away!


They required a lot of concentration...


Bethany and I have always said we were going to be neighbors... So in the little Nauvoo cut-out town, we picked our houses out. Hers is a lovely white wood house while mine is a pink brick house with room for "lots and lots of babies". And of course, they both have darling white picket fences :)

No comments: