Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scripture Chase

Bethany, my best friend since third grade, spent many faithful years of our youth sitting beside me during young women's, seminary, Sunday school, firesides, girl's camp, etc. And as long as I can remember, I have always asked her to help me find books in the bible. The conversation would always go something like this,
Teacher: "Please turn with me to Amos 4:12"
Me:
"Bethany, where's Amos...?"
Bethany: "It's between Joel and Obadiah in the Old Testament."
Me: "Huh? Where?"
Bethany: "Page 1141."
Me: "Thanks! I wonder if he's the same Amos that created Famous Amos cookies..."
Well, in my ongoing quest to perfect myself (it is proving to be quite a daunting task!), I am adding to my scriptural arsenal of knowledge by reading the Bible all the way through. Chronologically. Daily. Lance and I are doing this together, and after completing the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price, we know we can do it! It's interesting to critically read all these bible stories I grew up hearing about in the context the Bible has them in. Who knew Lot fathered his own grandchildren!?

We've been reading the different books of scripture together almost every night since last October (ish?), and after going to stake enrichment classes last week, I knew it was time to step our scripture study up to the next notch! There was a class on using the Preach My Gospel Manual to enrich your personal scripture study as well as the studies of your family. Download the online version here. I left that class completely inspired. So, I called Lance, and together we came up with a plan to implement all the things we should be studying from weekly but "don't have time" to.



I was struck by the missionary schedule (found at the beginning of Preach my Gospel) because they start every morning out with two hours of enriching scripture study. One hour is spent studying alone, and the second hour is spent with their companion. Using this as our inspiration, we decided the best time for us to study the word of the Lord is in the mornings, before his classes start, to give us a leg up for the day. Half an hour of personal study begins at 7:45 and half an hour of "companion" study at 8:15. So, as of the beginning of this week, this is our regiment:
Monday- Preach My Gospel Manual
Tuesday- The current Ensign
Wednesday- Missionary standard works (Our Heritage, Jesus the Christ, etc.)
Thursday- The upcoming week's Sunday school lesson
Friday- The upcoming week's Relief Society/Priesthood lesson
Saturday- Topical study from the scriptures
Sunday- Talks/previous ensign articles on LDS.org
So far, we are loving it. I can definitely tell a difference in my day when I start it with such an uplifting hour! It sort of takes me back to high school seminary... but I'm learning where all the obscure books of the Bible are this time around :)

2 comments:

Kevin and Camille Jensen said...

Sounds like a good plan! Keep us posted on how it's going for you! I am working on getting back into a routine of scripture study - it just makes all the difference in the world in how the days go by. Keep it up!

ashley said...

so i'm incredible proud to know such dedicated souls! what a great plan - and I'm humming this song as I'm reading your post...

you're the meaning in my life.... you're the inspiration... {maybe spencer will give you a concert sometime - he does a great version of it}

or something like that. :)
anyway, WAY TO GO!!! love love that kick start in the morning. keep it up.